This online material has been created for educational use by faculty and students. Sale of this copyrighted material for profit, in part or whole, is prohibited.
I taught a senior level finite element course called Introduction to the Finite Element Method using a commercial software. I also taught a graduate level course called Finite Element and Variational Methods in Engineering. This graduate course was 1/3 devoted to variational calculus which provides the theoretical basis of the finite element method. Material for both courses is below.
The slides are image files that can be cropped and used in other ways.
Introduction to the Finite Element Method (senior level)
- Mechanics of Materials Review
- Energy Method
- 1-D FEM Formulation
- 2-D FEM
- Storage and Solution Techniques
- Modeling and Errors
- Axi-symmetric, plates & shells, 3-D
- Thremal Analysis
Finite Element and Variational Methods in Engineering (Graduate level)
- Variational Calculus and Formulations in 1-D
- FEM in 1-D
- Variational Calculus and FEM in 2-D
- Numerical Integration, storage, and solution techniques
- Modeling and Good Practice
- Variational Calculus and FEM in 3-D
- Time Dependent Problems